The title of this post is rather redundant if 1.) you know me and what's going on in my life or 2.) if you actually read the title of the blog, but I'm not feeling too creative at the moment so this is a good as it's going to get. I promise I'll come up with better ones later on. Well, I leave for Belgium (more specifically, Brussels) next Tuesday and I won't be home until July 30th. Sadly, I'm not backpacking around Europe or anything rare like that, I'm studying abroad through Clemson--where I go to school--with the Comm department--my major. Sorry, again, to the 4 people who will read this--including my mother--and already know, I guess I'm just hopeful that I could become popular and have a world-renowned blog status. I'll keep dreaming on that one, you don't have to tell me.
So basically, I'm taking two classes while I'm over there: Communication in World Context and Nonverbal Communication--we get textbooks and all. Doesn't sound to hard? You don't know my professor (hah!) But seriously, he taught two of my classes this past semester and he's probably one of the best I've had at Clemson...relatively rigorous, but I learned more in that semester than the three before it, combined. I'm actually looking forward to the class part, just because he's my professor...it'll be fun. Class is Monday-Thursday for six hours a day and then we have the rest of the weekend to do what we want--mostly travel. A few of my friends and I are planning trips (hopefully) to Paris one weekend, London another (HARRY POTTER PREMIER IN LONDON WOULD THAT NOT BE THE COOLEST THING EVER?!), and we're not sure about the last. Possibly Amsterdam, Germany, or others...we'll see. Regardless, it'll probably be the trip of a lifetime, or maybe I'll have a couple more if I get rich.
Speaking of travelling, of course with any course, you have to take field trips! Granted I haven't really been on one since like 8th grade, but I think these are more "adult"--minus the chocolate factory that we're touring. Along with that, we're going to a brewery (which should be interesting because I don't drink at all, but I guess I'll have to taste since I'm there), the US Embassy (super cool for us politics dorks), and possibly headquarters of the European Union--not sure about that one. I think it's safe to say that I'll be well-educated upon my return.
However, while this trip comes with tons of excitement, it also comes with tons of anxiety. First off, flying overseas. I've flown across the US before, but never across oceanic waters...which freaks me out a little bit. But I'm going to convince Mom to get my some Benadryl and fall asleep on the plane, since it is overnight. Secondly, being a foreign country. I believe the people of Brussels speak French and in high school/college I took Spanish. Umm, no help there. I guess my 18-year-old brother will teach me some phrases he took in French I/II...my guess is that won't be helpful either. On the upside, being in a foreign country is super exciting too, so that will be an adventure in and of itself. Plus, I'll have friends there and have professor/adult figure for guidance if necessary. But the major anxiety factor: money. moolah. dollah dollah bill. or in this case, Euros. Did you know that the dollar to Euro conversion ratio thing is $1 to € 1.5? Basically, I'm losing money, which isn't cool. Plus, I'm a college kid already, aka limited financial resources. Regardless, this is probably one of the few times I'm going to Europe, if not the last, so I better make the most of it while I'm over there because if I don't see things now, it'll probably be more expensive later (plus, buying another plane ticket). My logic is completely flawless. Hope you're reading this, Mom.
So if any of you blog followers have been to Belgium--WHAT ON EARTH DO I PACK?! My bag cannot weigh any more than 50 lbs. I don't think I'll have a problem getting there, but coming back...you know a girl likes to shop. Bad thing here--weather. Currently, in Brussels, it's 64 degrees with showers, but the day I get there (as of now) is supposed to be 89 degrees with a few clouds, but the day after is supposed to be 71 degrees. Can you say BI-POLAR? I guess I'll need to bring, umm EVERYTHING. And find a good rain-jacket...so I've heard. But seriously, anyone with advice would be much appreciated at this point.
Hopefully, I'll be able to blog as much as I can while I'm there. My goal is three times a week, but we'll see what happens. I'll definitely blog the first night I'm there because Hannah, Katie, and I will just be wandering around. PLUS you can probably expect pictures! I'll try and do something different with this blog, than my other one. But stay-tuned everyone! If you have suggestions of what I should do while I'm over there PLEASE tell me!
can i just say that i read this blog to my parents and grandma and everyone is cracking up at you! love you!
ReplyDelete